• – SGS is the academic home for students enrolled in the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program, monitoring student progress and providing a variety of support services for the students enrolled in the program.
• Facilitate governance of graduate programs
• Certification of all doctoral dissertations and master’s theses prior to oral defense
• Assessment of all masters and doctoral graduates
• Approves and monitors graduate programs and coursework
• Coordinates appointments to the Doctoral and Graduate Faculty
• Works with academic units on issues related to graduate policies
• Provides student travel funds
About The UMKC School of Graduate Studies
UMKC currently offers more than 50 graduate degrees at the master's, educational specialist and doctoral levels, plus a number of graduate certificates. Graduate students represent about 26 percent of the total campus enrollment and are diverse in ethnicity, gender and racial background. As an urban university, our programs strive to accommodate adult working students.
The School of Graduate Studies is responsible for monitoring compliance to the campus-wide minimum graduate academic regulations; providing leadership and coordination of all graduate programs, and serves as the academic home for students admitted to the Ph.D. program in Interdisciplinary Studies.
All other graduate programs on campus are managed by the appropriate academic unit. For a listing of all graduate programs, click here.
School of Graduate Studies Mission Statement
The School of Graduate Studies (SGS) provides a support network that promotes excellence in graduate education, and supports current and prospective graduate students in achieving their full potential. We do this by