Interdisciplinary Ph.D. Admissions Procedure
All applicants are encouraged to review the requirements for the Primary and Co-discipline(s) by visiting the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. website. It is recommended that applicants talk to the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. Discipline Coordinators in their areas of interest BEFORE applying to the program. Discipline Coordinators offer valuable program, academic and application information.
Please read through all steps below before beginning your application!
To apply to the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program, visit https://futureroo.umkc.edu/apply/
- Select “Graduate” and “Start New Application”
- There will not yet be an option to choose the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program.
- Complete the “Personal Info” section and “Continue.”
- Within the “Academic Information” section, you will choose you intended starting semester.
- Put a check mark as to whether you have previously enrolled as a degree-seeking student at UMKC.
- For “Degree Program,” select “Interdisciplinary Studies Ph.D.” Two more drop-down menus will appear for you to select your discipline choices.
- Click “Continue.”
- Complete the “Academic History.” Your official transcripts will be required for every institution listed here (exception: if you attended UMKC, you do NOT need to order the UMKC transcripts).
- In the “Test Scores” section, each test score entered requires the official scores to be sent to the university.
- Within “Letters of Recommendation,” you have the choice of your recommender uploading or mailing the letter. For an upload, the recommender will receive an email with a link. He/she needs to fill out the online form AND upload the letter.
- Complete the “Additional Information” section.
- Complete the “Signature” section with your full name.
- Review your application and “Submit” it.
- Note: You cannot alter any information in the above steps after you click “Submit” here.
- If you have other documents to submit, please use the next page to upload them under the appropriate categories (examples include a resume, writing sample, or cover letter).
To check your application status, please visit https://futureroo.umkc.edu/status
Official transcripts should be sent directly to the UMKC Admissions Offices. Please check with the Admissions Office (domestic applicants) or the International Student Affairs Office (ISAO – international applicants) regarding the receipt of your official transcript(s). Your application cannot be reviewed until official transcripts have been received.
Test scores should be sent directly to UMKC from ETS-Institution code: 6872
Waiver requests for TOEFL/IELTS/GRE: Applicants must talk with the Interdisciplinary Ph.D Discipline Coordinators in their areas of interest BEFORE requesting a waiver for the official test score requirements. After talking with the Coordinators, a waiver request can be submitted in writing through the Application site. Upload your waiver request in a PDF format. Choose “Other” for the document type listed in the drop down menu.
If you have questions regarding the application process, please contact the School of Graduate Studies at 816-235-1301 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The deadlines for applications to the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program vary by discipline. All application materials must be uploaded, and test scores and official transcripts must be received in Admission Offices by the earliest discipline deadline. (For example, if one discipline’s deadline is February 1st and the other March 15th, then application materials must be received by the February 1st deadline.)
2. The timeline for applicants to expect admission decisions varies by discipline. Most admission decisions are made approximately four to six weeks after the latest deadline. For example, if one discipline deadline is February 1st and the other March 15th, an admission decision should be received, approximately, by April 15th to April 30th.
3. Applicants will be notified of admission decisions by mail. Newly admitted international applicants will receive necessary admission documentation by courier service from the International Student Affairs Office.
4. Admission decisions cannot be provided over the telephone.
To review the UMKC Catalog’s information for each discipline, visit: http://catalog.umkc.edu/colleges-schools/graduate-studies/interdisciplinary-phd-program/